Rapture Watch    

a global end  times prophecy resource

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Ninth of Av

M

Ninth of Av

According to history, many events considered disastrous by the Jews have occurred on the Ninth of Av, also called Tisha B’Av,the saddest day in Jewish history:

• Av 9, 1312 BC - Only two of the twelve spies sent by Moses to observe the land of Canaan returned with a positive report. For this, God decreed that for all generations this date would become one of crying and misfortune for their descendants, the Jewish people. (Numbers Chapters 13–14)

• Av 9, 422 BC - The First Temple built by King Solomon was destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar and the Judeans were sent into the Babylonian exile.

• Av 9, 70 AD - The Second Temple built by Ezra and Nehemiah was destroyed by the Romans on August 4, 70 AD.

• Av 9, 71 AD - The Roman army plowed Jerusalem with salt on July 25, 71 AD.

• Av 9, 132 AD - The Romans crushed Bar Kokhba’s revolt and destroyed the city of Betar, killing over 100,000 Jews, on July 8, 132.

• Av 9, 135 AD - The destruction of Simeon Bar Cochba’s army on August 5, 135 AD.

• Av 9, 1095 AD - The First Crusade was declared by Pope Urban II on July 20, 1095.

• Av 9, 1190 AD - 500 Jews died as a result of the rich storming a castle in York England on July 14, 1190.

• Av 9, 1290 AD - July 25, 1290 Jews forced out of England.

• Av 9, 1492 AD - August 11, 1492 Jews forced out of Spain.

• Av 9, 1914 AD - World War I begins on August 1, 1914. Russia also launches persecutions against the Jews in Eastern Russia on this same day.

• Av 9, 1942 AD - The mass deportation began of Jews from the Warsaw Ghetto, en route to Treblinka began On the eve of July 23, 1942.

• Av 9, 1994 AD - The Jewish community center in Buenos Aires was bombed killing 86 and wounding 300 others on Monday July 18, 1994.

• Av 9, 2005 AD - Starting at midnight on August 14, 2005, the entry and presence of Israeli citizens in the Gaza Strip is prohibited.

Jewish Tradition links the 9th of Av to the return of the Messiah and the rebuilding of the Temple.

http://www.chabad.org/calendar/view/day.asp?tdate=7/28/2012

The Shabbat before the Ninth of Av is called Shabbat Chazon ("Shabbat of Vision") after the opening words of the day's reading from the prophets ("haftara"), which is the third of the series of readings known as "The Three of Rebuke." On this Shabbat, say the Chassidic masters, we are granted a vision of the Third Temple; we may not see it with our physical eyes, but our souls see it, and are empowered to break free of our present state of galut (exile and spiritual displacement) and bring about the Redemption and the rebuilding of the Temple.

--

The Bible provides a historic clue pointing to the 9th of Av

The Ninth of Av: “A Day of Infamy” & America’s 911

http://www.shuvah.com/shuvah_articles_main.html

Finally, as Messiah returns to Nazareth they are about to read from the seventh message of Isaiah, Parashah Nitzavim (Isaiah 61:10-63:9). As Messiah was handed the scroll of Isaiah, He began to read, “The Spirit of Adonai is upon me; ... he has sent me to proclaim freedom for the imprisoned and renewed sight for the blind...” (Luke 4:18,19; Isaiah 61:1-2a ). He then said, “Today, these Scriptures are fulfilled in your hearing. (Luke 4:21)”.

It has been exactly 49 days from Tisha B’av to Nitzavim and 43 days between Nachamu and Nitzavim, clearly more than enough time for Messiah’s wilderness journey. Look at the Scriptures we read every year between Shabbat Hazone, Tisha B’av and Nitzavim. He has fulfilled more than we have ever imagined. He came at the right time, to the right place, to make right all our past days of infamy, so that our future can be found in Him.

--

This year...

New Russian holiday marked as Kremlin boosts Church

Reuters reported :

"It is really cool that this is finally happening. It's good young people know about our history," said Anton, a 22-year-old artist. Retired engineer Zina looked on. "I regularly go to church and maybe this will encourage others," she told Reuters. The trend toward consolidation of the church as a national force in Russia has worried its 20-million strong Muslim population -- a seventh of Russia's people -- as well as those who believe church and state should be strictly separated.

July 28 was celebrated in Russia en masse twice before -- in 1888 and 1988 -- but significantly Wednesday's holiday was the first time it was marked on a state level.

Its millennium celebration in 1988 under Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev was widely considered a turning point for the church's revival while Russia still lived under Communism.

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2010/07/29/new-russian-holiday-marked-as-kremlin-boosts-orthodox-church/

----

http://www.abdicate.net/cal.aspx

•Gregorian: July 28, 2012

•Jewish: Av 9, 5772 Tisha B’Av

•Weekday: Saturday

June 16, 2012 at 3:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RaptureWatch
Site Owner

Thanks Michael. 9th of Av has some amazing history attached to it and future prophetic fulfillment to come. Blessings brother.

--

1Thessalonians 5:16 -18   Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.   KJV

June 16, 2012 at 3:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M

From Pastor Riley...

There are two more events which you may or may not want to add to your list which I believe to be prophetically significant.

The first one was the invasion of Kuwait by the armies of Saddam Hussein, the ruler of Iraq [ancient Babylon]. The invasion took place after dark

on the 9th day of Av in 1990. Significantly, this correlates exactly with Psalm 90:3 where the Psalmist, speaking in the present tense explicitly stated,

"Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men." That invasion began a chain of events in the Middle East which is still going on right to this present day, and has only grown worse and worse with the passing of time.

Then the second event. 1994 was the year the whole world watched via TV as the Shoemaker-Levy Comet plunged into Jupiter. That comet was discovered by two Jews, Mr. Shoemaker and Mr. Levy, hence the name it was given. After its discovery, it broke into 21 pieces, which I personally believe was a warning to the whole watching world of the 21 judgments to come upon humanity during the Tribulation period. Then on the 9th day of Av it began its death plunge into Jupiter. It took exactly 7 days for all 21 pieces to plunge into Jupiter.

June 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M

Interesting Dates...

Ramadan/ Av (20-July to 19 Aug) The anti-Christian Islamic narrative says “mahdi” AKA Antichrist will come during the month of Ramadan which is the same this year as the Month of Av.

Special Shabbats

• Shabbat Hazon (28-July-2012) Tisha B'Av

Shabbat Hazon means "Sabbath of Vision," and refers to Isaiah's vision of the destruction of the Temple, which is the haftarah reading for the week (Isaiah 1:1-27). The Torah reading cycle is structured so that the parshah with this haftarah (Parshat Devarim) will occur on the Shabbat preceding Tisha B'Av, a fast day commemorating the destruction of the Temple.

• Shabbat Nachamu (4-Aug-2012) Tu B'Av, “right in the middle of Ramadan”

Shabbat Nachamu means "Sabbath of Consolation." Shabbat Nachamu is the first of seven haftarot starting with the Shabbat after Tisha B'Av and leading up to Rosh Hashanah. These readings are meant to console us after the destruction of the Temple and reassure us that it will be built again. As with Shabbat Hazon, the cycle of Torah readings is structured in such a way that these readings will occur on the appropriate weeks.

• Shabbat Shuvah (22-Sep-2012)

Shabbat Shuvah literally means "Sabbath of Return," but it is also a play on the phrase "Shabbat Teshuvah" (Sabbath of Repentance). It is the Shabbat that occurs between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur and is a time for reflection leading up to the atonement of Yom Kippur. Shabbat Shuvah has two special haftarah readings, one dealing with the importance of heartfelt repentance (Hosea 14:2-10) and one praising the Creator's mercy (Micah 7:18-20).

July 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

♥ dru ♥

This is very interesting and it ties-in with this topic ...

"Well America, Psalm 9:17 is still in the Bible, and so is Hosea 8:7.

Now the United Nations International Gun Control Treaty will be signed by the thugs in Washington, whom the American people so gullibly elected to represent them, on July 27th. The signing of this treaty will authorize U.N. personnel, or soldiers if they deem necessary, to "legally" enter this country and seize the weapons of every private citizen in America. Any American who has sense above a goose should know that this international edict of the U.N. will be carried out, even if they have to carry it out over the dead bodies of the American people.

Oh did I mention that the one bright ray of hope for those Americans who are true Christian believers is the coming of Christ to resurrect and rapture His people to glory? Hmmn! Let's see now.....this treaty will be signed on July 27th. That "just happens" to be the day before the 9th day of Av ["Destruction Day"] on the Jewish calendar; July 28th on our Gentile calendar. Is it even remotely "possible" that all of the end-time prophecies of God's Word are rapidly converging just like the old Jewish Rabbi said they would? You know which prophecies I am talking about! Those prophecies of the Bible; God's inspired Word, which most of the American people scorn and ridicule, regarding them as nothing but "old Jewish myths." Galatians 6:7-8 is still in the Bible! But praise the Lord, so is Revelation 3:10! I will still send out copies of my Bible study entitled "Connecting the Dots" to any reader requesting a copy.

Maybe some Americans ought to stop looking to the "political process" to save the nation, and start looking to the Lord Jesus Christ to save their souls and rescue them from what is right now staring America and all humanity in the face. The Lord God whom I serve in truth didn't tell me to convince anyone of the truth of what America and the whole world is facing right now. He just told me to "blow the trumpet and warn the people." Every person who reads this HAS BEEN WARNED! Acts 20:26-27. What you do with the warning is between you and the Lord God!"

Pastor F. M. Riley

US Will Sign Gun Control Treaty on July 27! Dick Morris TV: Lunch ALERT!

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/july2012/fmriley76.htm

--

John 14:6

Jesus said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. 

July 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M

Thanks Dru,

Pastor Riley and I have exchanged some e-mails on the topic.

The Gun Treaty is a key, I am not sure the average person understands what enforcement must look like.

http://www.dickmorris.com/us-will-sign-gun-control-treaty-on-july-27-dick-morris-tv-lunch-alert/

---

It's not lost on me that the UN General assembly coincides with Rosh Hashanna.

http://www.un.org/en/ga/meetings/

18 September 2012, at 3 p.m. - Opening of the 67th session at United Nations Headquarters in New York

---

Or that Shabbat Nachamu (4-Aug-2012) Tu B'Av, “right in the middle of Ramadan” is also Obama's birthday.

---

Some people will be thinking, "same thing every year, Mikes at it again". Nope. Life isn't a "wheel that goes round and round" like the popular song says. Rather a short string of valuable days that God gives men time to repent.

---

Only one life, yes only one,

Soon will its fleeting hours be done;

Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet,

And stand before His Judgement seat;

Only one life,’twill soon be past,

Only what’s done for Christ will last.

---

Blessings

Mike

July 7, 2012 at 1:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M

"Let the living separate from the dead!"

The Torah relates that the entire generation of Israelites rescued from Egypt was sentenced to die while in the desert (Parashat Shelach). According to the Midrash Eichah Rabbah, every year until the fortieth year, on the eve of the Ninth of Av (27/28 Jul 2012), Moses would command the people, "Go out and dig," and the people would leave the camp, dig graves, and sleep in them overnight. The following morning a messenger would proclaim,"Let the living separate from the dead! Fifteen thousand would die that very night, but the survivors would return to the camp for another year. This occurred year after year, but in the fortieth year no one died. Since they thought they might have miscalculated the days, they slept in their graves an additional night. This went on for five nights until the fifteenth of Av, when they saw the full moon, realized that there calculations were correct, and rejoiced that no more of the first generation would die. They subsequently declared Tu B'Av a day of celebration. The "desert generation" had finally died off and the new generation was finally ready to enter the land!

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Holidays/Summer_Holidays/Tu_B_Av/tu_b_av.html

Parshat Shelach Lecha: The Spies and their Confidence Problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf8vE0CqQE8

The 12 Spies of Israel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8b6Gr23kT8&feature=related

July 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

❀ Alison ❀

Great posts and comments! A lot of great info =)

--

The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry...The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.

ꕥ Psalm 34:15,17-19 ꕥ

*Fair Use Act*

July 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M

Romney event to start as Tisha Be’av ends

http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=277417

WASHINGTON – The fundraiser being held for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney while he’s in Israel is scheduled to start at 9:30 in the evening next Sunday, well after the end of Tisha Be’av at sundown, according to an invitation obtained by The Jerusalem Post.

July 14, 2012 at 7:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M

http://parablesblog.blogspot.de/2012/07/babylon-rising-part-seven-ringing-in.html

Babylon Rising - Part Seven

A week ago I received a letter from a minister in England telling me of an invitation being sent out to churches across the United Kingdom to participate in what is officially designated as Work No. 1197. The London Olympic Committee is urging all people across the UK to ring bells at precisely 8:12 A.M. on July 27th, which is the day the Olympics officially open. The bell ringing is to last for three minutes, and all people are urged to ring the bells as loudly, and urgently as possible during this time. Not only are churches with bells encouraged to ring them, but every other type of bell, from those on civic buildings, alarm bells, doorbells, handbells, etc., are to be employed in this national cacophony.

Furthering this bell ringing theme it has been announced that the Opening Ceremony for the London Olympics will begin with the ringing of the world’s largest tuned bell. This 23 ton bell is being produced especially for this ceremony, and will be hung in the Olympic Village after the games. The bell is to be inscribed with the words, “Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises.” These words are taken from Shakespeare’s play The Tempest.

The Tempest has been adopted as the theme around which the Olympic Games in London will be styled. Discerning that there was some dark portent in this, and not ever having been a fan of Shakespeare, I downloaded a copy of this play a couple days ago and read it from start to finish. There is much in this play of which Christians should take note.

Read more...

http://parablesblog.blogspot.de/2012/07/babylon-rising-part-seven-ringing-in.html

July 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M

One day before Romney's visit, Obama to sign act expanding military cooperation with Israel

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/one-day-before-romney-s-visit-obama-to-sign-act-expanding-military-cooperation-with-israel-1.453860

In signing the United States-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act, Obama is trying to upstage his rival for the presidency, Mitt Romney, as he arrives for an official visit to Israel.

The White House may be trying to steal the thunder from Republican candidate Mitt Romney on the eve of his visit to Jerusalem. A day before Romney is due to land in Israel, U.S. President Barack Obama will sign the United States-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act, which is meant to approve and expand military cooperation between the two countries.

July 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M

To be signed today in Washington, by that time sunset in Israel the 9th of Av.

read the text here...

‘‘United States-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act of 2012’’.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr4133rfs/pdf/BILLS-112hr4133rfs.pdf

July 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

malia

The quote from Shakespear reminded me of when my nephew was little. He would frequently complain of being bothered by noises at night. Later, he saw a T-shirt with a cartoon monster on it and he said, "I don't like that. It is a picture of a noise."

July 27, 2012 at 1:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

❀ Alison ❀

According to my calculations (moon sighting, lol), Tisha B' Av begins at sunset on Sunday to sunset on Monday...if this is the case... all the more interesting. =) Lots of great info!

--

The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry...The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.

*Fair Use Act*

July 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M

You’re probably correct in observing the Karite calendar.

http://www.karaite-korner.org/holiday_dates.shtml

However Obama could have picked any day to sign this bill, months ago even.

Why did he wait until the 9th of Av for the orthodox Jews, intentional?

And Romney plans his arrival in Jerusalem to coincide, strange.

Not as strange as this…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-19020830

July 28, 2012 at 2:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Garth Page

UN gun treaty defeated

--

July 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Garth Page

Blessings Steve Been busy changing house doin it up bigger proptery takes a lot of work

and caring for it had been let go over run and needs alot of loveand attention

Garth

GEE my necks sore from looking up

LOL

--

July 28, 2012 at 3:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M

Garth Page at July 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM

UN gun treaty defeated

http://www.independentsentinel.com/2012/07/u-n-small-arms-treaty-delayed-until-september/

Interesting...

July 28, 2012 at 3:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

❀ Alison ❀

What in the world is this??? http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/61867000/jpg/_61867184_61865426.jpg 

Check the link above for a larger pic of this thumbnail from the Olympics

--

*Fair Use Act*

July 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

❀ Alison ❀

Garth Page at July 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM

UN gun treaty defeated

Delayed until September... they are probably waiting for us to leave =)

--

*Fair Use Act*

July 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.